Thursday, September 17, 2009

Communication

A I attempted to call customer service for help (the reason why is not relevant to this story). The guy I spoke to was polite. He spoke English (with an accent, but very understandable). I didn't think we would have an issue until 30 minutes later, it was clear he still didn't know what I wanted. We spoke the same words, but we didn't speak the same language.

Several nights a week, we head up to the neighborhood park after dinner. The girls love it, and so do I. Elspeth has bonded with two little boys, if they are all there, they are all together. They will follow her into any adventure, and Elspeth loves a good follower. I knew they spoke Spanish, but it was only 2 nights ago that I finally heard Elspeth say "Do you speak English too?" I listened intently, as the older boy said "No." They don't understand many of each others words, but they speak the same language.

I was sitting next to the boys mother when this exchange took place. This explains why we have had such limited communication. She speaks some English, but I am guessing enough to get by and not enough to chat about milestones, etc. After the boys let Elspeth know they spoke no English, she paused, you could tell we were both holding our breaths for her reaction (she to make sure her boys didn't get hurt, me to make sure my unpredictable child didn't say something rude in a tone that let them know it was rude). Elspeth started babbling in a stream of Spanish colors, using the first vocab that came to her mind at the moment, their mother and I laughed out loud. I then witnessed my child, who does not often care to be touched by others, throw her arm around one of the boys several times at the park, announcing "these are my friends!"

Elspeth has decided it is necessary to create something of her own language. She is correct, the English language is not as precise as it could be. Yesterday she created "Flimitz" which is defined as something that only "mommies and daddies" can do. So much easier now that we have a word. Stove? Flimitz. Putting Holly on leash? Flimitz. We headed out to the car, Elspeth paused. Instead of playing with the garage door, she announced "Flimitz!" I love this word.

Remember her Spanish speaking friends, she started to try to figure out how to ask for the bathroom in Spanish. I have misgivings about going over this, envisioning my child asking her new friends for the bathroom. But we started to go over the words. She announced "They are Spanish speakers and we are English speakers." True. "Mommy, how do you ask for the bathroom in English?"

pause.

"Well, honey, we speak English, you just ask for the bathroom."

"No! Mommy, Grandma had another English way."

*sigh*

"Believe me Elspeth, Grandma and I are going to have a LONG talk about this."

Communication.

4 comments:

HennHouse said...

I love it!

Esther-Faith makes up her own words, too. But usually she shares them with Isaac, her two "pretend" Jonahs, and her imaginary zoo.

Kay Hudson said...

I really don't know what she is talking about.
Grandma
(Honest)

thenn said...

You pretend innocence Mother, but this feels a lot like the time she came home from a week with you obsessed with skunks. :)

Melissa Blair said...

That is too funny! You have got to love Dora and Diego and their basic Spanish lessons for kids.