Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lame Duck


My replacement started in the office today.

This is just another milestone in a series that is inevitably marching us out of Illinois. We sold the house, we signed a lease, now I am irrevocably going to be out of this job.

The realization that this is the result of my own choices does not make this easy. I keep telling the new girl how lucky she is.

I am serving for the last time in our church on Sunday.

We are scheduling "last" dinner dates and BBQs with friends.

Everywhere I turn, I am a lame duck. And that sounds kind of sad, but it isn't really. We have known about this move for 5 months now. I spent the first 4 bitter, angry and generally moody. Now that we are almost at launch, I have finally stopped throwing pity parties for myself and started looking forward to the next step.

Elspeth likes to tell me, "we will have a lot of good adventure in Arizona Mommy." and I am beginning to think she is right.

That kid is something else.

2 comments:

HennHouse said...

She IS something else. And she is right. What an adventure you are on! It is difficult to not be jealous of you...

Melissa Blair said...

You will have grand new adventures in AZ! Who knows, you may end up just loving it out there!