Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Alice in Wonderland

I can not post this without giving away something very important about myself. I am a dork. Ok, you probably already know that. I believe I am the last known person in the free world who is not on face book.

Unfortunately, I am also in marketing, and the "old school" marketing I practice needs a facelift. So, tasked with getting my organization into the 21st Century, I put myself on Facebook today for the first time.

I have to confess, I am not up for this task. They make it so easy to get an account, you just reveal a few pieces of information. And then suddenly you are hit with a barrage of information about all the people you know. Ok, technically, I only have 14 friends, but that means I am completely overwhelmed by info from just 14 (and I realize that many many people have 'friends' numbering in the thousands). How do you keep up?

First things first, I asked my boss. She explained that the barrage was a news feed, and that what I had to concern myself with was the wall. Wall, ok, I can find a wall. Unfortunately, people can change my wall. I got a note from Celina, hurray, I found it. I actually think I successfully posted back to her wall. So far so good.

Then I got too ambitious. I wanted to upload a picture. While I was doing that, this little red number in the corner of my screen kept going up. Curious, I hovered my mouse over the number, up popped a list of notifications, all demanding my attention. I don't know how to attend to these things. Seriously, I am out of my element. This is bad, I am just clicking things now.

So, if you see me on Facebook, feel free to drop a note. Or not. Chances are, I am pretty far away from actually being able to reliably do anything about it. Do you know there are people who actually hold down full time jobs AND are on facebook? That is my hero list.

7 comments:

HennHouse said...

ROFL!

Melissa Blair said...

Jeff refuses to do facebook. I will look you up. The secret to FB is to figure out what you are really interested in using facebook for, and focus on that. Don't worry about all of the other stuff. I enjoy reading all of the status updates (which also come up on the news feed). To get JUST the status updates, click on friends.

anne said...

The first few days on Facebook are the worst. Then things slow down and you can manage it. Keep pushing through these beginning stages and you will like it:)

e4 said...

You're overlooking the easy solution - you just need to get rid of some of your friends. Start being mean to people.

Celina said...

Yes, your wall post was successful. Welcome to FB. Hope you still update your blog a lot :)

ThePayneTrain said...

Did you take the blue pill or the red pill?

Swedish Mama said...

Can I come to you for encouragement and santity? My girls want to know why I'm not on facebook? My sister says she FB's all the time, (note one sister doesn't even own computer!!!!--imagine that!!). A co-worker does facebook, she used it last night to show me her darling grandchildren. But she isn't sure what a blog is... To Blog or Face Book or both--that is the question. Keep letting us know how you like it, I am using your reactions in my decision making process.