Saturday, January 10, 2009

Daddy's Coming Home

After 3 days, Daddy is returning from Austin today.

We have missed him.

I read Elspeth's Tractor and Truck book wrong, I tried, but she finally said it would wait until Daddy got home.

I tried to put our Christmas tree away, but I think he must find some weird time space continuum each year, because there is no way that thing fits in the box.

I have tried to keep up the house, which means we actually have piles of clean laundry in some places, and dirty laundry in other places, and I don't want to talk about the state of our dishes.

The world knew the minute he left town and ants invaded the main bathroom. Seriously, who gets ants in January in the Midwest? People who let their husband's travel, that's who.

I proudly tried to deal with our recycling (when it got really cold we just kept adding to the garage and stopped delivering to the central drop off point and it was getting scary out there), and the garage door is now sitting at an odd angle, closed on one side, 5 inches open on the other. Jeremy started talking about lethal springs over the phone and I decided to leave it.

I keep forgetting to tell him important things on the phone. By the time I can talk to him with no kids around, I am too tired to remember, well, anything.

Elspeth has decided to never potty again.

Adwen has decided to climb up on our new bench and dive off, because, so far, I have caught her and that is fun.

If you know a single mom, hug her.

Editor's Note: As I hit post, Elspeth came out to tell me the toilet paper was stuck in the toilet. Which is good, because she is off her potty strike, but bad because she kept trying to flush and the bowl overflowed a little. While "fixing" that mess, Addie decided to feed the dogs. I won't go into details. I checked Jeremy's flight, it got in the air 5 minutes early. I think I might cry I am so happy.

Double Editor's note: So far this morning, Addie has eaten 1 orange marker. As Elspeth and I were brushing Ella's teeth to head out on an errand, Addie ran by the bathroom. I didn't think much of until Ella yelled "Hey Addie's playing with scissors, lets get her!" That's great, the little one is running with scissors and the big one is chasing her. Yeah, I am in control. I am in control, I am in control, I am in control.

7 comments:

Melissa Blair said...

I am quite confident that the reason it takes two to make a baby is because it really and truly takes both parents to keep them in line. I agree with you...single parents must already have their wings! Give them a hug!

e4 said...

When we had a rough start with our twins, any time I was feeling sorry for myself, I'd go talk to one of my co-workers. She had triplets! And she was a single mom!

HennHouse said...

This was great to read aloud to Tim. He giggled quite a bit and added, "Run, Addie! Run!"

I feel your pain. When Tim was working special detail during the election season (which seemed to last a really, really long time), I did all I could just to keep the house from falling over.

I love you.

How many hours until he gets home?

Adult beverages in your future?

thenn said...

The plane has landed in Indy, he is about 2-3 hours away from being home. We are currently enjoying a fun game of "Henn Family Clean Up" (no lie, the girls love it). We will actuallly look under control when he walks through the door, mostly because I am timing naps so they will be asleep when he gets here. :)

Swedish Mama said...

Bless you, it is hard to keep things under control by yourself, not matter what stage of life you are in. It is good that Elspeth was helping you 'watch' her sister. She certianly is a fun kid.

Dwight used rally the kids to "operation efficenticy" whenever Mom was due home and the house wasn't up to approval.

Welcome home Jer.

HennHouse said...

Is today the Danville interview? I've lost track of dates and times this week. But I'm still praying for you all.

(((hugs)))

ChuckB said...

Abby's family is in the garage door business if you all go that way.