Monday, December 1, 2008

If everyone would kindly act their age.

I keep wondering when my parents will "act their age"

After running me around the gym for 3 hours. My mother let me pause for lunch before we dug into the "projects" for the day. To be honest, my job was opinion only (she still lets me have a vote in Elspeth's new curtains), mother was doing all the work.

At the end of the day, I dropped her at the house while I went to collect my youngest child from daycare. I came home exhausted, my mom had made two pies in the approximately half hour I was away.

Collapsing in a tired heap, I asked "when will you act your age." Mother calmly replied "60 is the new 50" while she prepared my sewing machine for an evening's work.

Why does 34 feel like the new 90. I thought my kids made me feel tired.

Still, every time I see the soft purple glow of the sunlight filtering through Ella's new curtains (that she thanked God for last night in prayers), and my younger child has warm fingers and toes coming out from under her cozy new blanky, it is hard to feel anything but gratitude.

Maybe I can convince my parents to make this a Thanksgiving tradition . . .

3 comments:

HennHouse said...

Sounds like a fabulous new tradition!

Melissa Blair said...

I believe it is because kids make you feel old because they come with a lot of work and worry. Grandkids make you feel young again because you get to spoil them rotten and then give them back to their parents...leaves you with tons of extra time for projects!

Kay Hudson said...

I agree with the Blairs.

Grandma