Thursday, May 8, 2008

Stupid Human Tricks (for Tim)

This one is coming to you live from the Champaign County Courthouse where I am corralled with some number of other upstanding citizens awaiting our moment to be the jury of peers to some other poor citizen.

This has been my experience so far.

Recording devices only include cameras.

Cell phones do not include the aircard that I am using to connect to the internet at this moment (at least Sargeant Bob didn't send me back to my car with it, and I am going to go with asking forgiveness rather than permission (It IS after all in the bag they xray).

Despite the gasps of my fellow jurors, I HAVE left the room (the coffee pot was empty and I had to go in search of provisions) that I am starting to call the paddock.

This is a tight ship. One of the guards just came in and started to ask me official questions. He apparently thought I worked here. My fellow jurors thought this was great fun (we don't have much to amuse us), one asked if we could be released for the day, sounds good to me.

This is my fourth morning here. I have not yet seen the inside of a courtroom. There is a guy in this room who has been called three times and has never seen a courtroom.

This is a great system.

I am told is is the sheer force of our presence down here that is causing all the courts to magically resolve themselves. I have never weilded so much power just by the force of my presence.

Oh, how exciting, some of us are being called up! Juror #104 is going in. My big day.

4 comments:

HennHouse said...

Hysterical! I'll make sure Tim sees the post--he could provide some insight to "life on the other side" where there are far more stupid human tricks being performed. For example, he loves it when someone decide to defend him/herself on a traffic ticket. Fun times.

Anonymous said...

From Tim:

I would love to be seated on a jury. I think deliberations would be somewhat shortened.

Anonymous said...

From Tim:

I would love to be seated on a jury. I think deliberations would be somewhat shortened.

HennHouse said...

Happy Mother's Day!