Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chick Bits

I moved too slow yesterday getting watermelon for Elspeth's breakfast. My elder child proclaimed "How bout we feed kids around here!"


My mother took my girls to the library and selected some special books to read to them. My younger child has been carrying those books around for two days saying "Grandma?"


Elspeth has gotten interested in nature. But she has already tapped out my knowledge. We got a book about trees, and it talks about photosynthesis, prompting a discussion about how sunshine is food for trees. Last night, I said something about getting done before sun down. Ella proclaimed, "Mommy, the sun doesn't go down! The trees eat it." Since we had our tree discussion, my daughter thought the trees ate the sun every evening, and a new one came up the next day.


Addie had a pair of brown shoes. She loved these shoes. In an attempt to "summerize" her wardrobe, she got a pair of hot pink sandals. She will not wear them, and has even started crying if I even pick them up. I suggested to my Mother that she pick up a pair of easy to put on sandals. Addie opened them and refused to put them on. She wants her brown shoes. In a flash of inspiration, my mother took Addie out and purchased her a new pair of brown shoes. They look almost like the old ones, just newer, one size larger, and the Velcro still holds. Addie will not look at her old brown shoes. She will not contemplate those lovely pink sandals I still dig out each morning in the hopes that today is the day.


At school, they immediately noticed she finally had on new shoes, and they noticed that they looked almost exactly like her old ones. By the end of the day they were scuffed beyond recognition as new. We figure that about makes them perfect in her book.


My old sneakers are friends of mine.

You can't trust any shoes that shine.

Some shoes pinch you and some shoes squeak.

The only shoes that I would choose are shoes that sneak.

- Sandra Boyton

1 comment:

HennHouse said...

I love it! All of the bits and pieces that make of life... I just love it!