Thursday, June 5, 2008

Survival

Jeremy and I love our kids. We expected to love them before they came along, but I think the shear force of the emotion took us by surprise. Seeing my husband interact with our children has strengthened our relationship.

Here it is, the "but"

sometimes you really have to survive parenthood. I am not saying the reverse isn't true (I have considered starting a fund to pay for our daughter's future psychologist needs), but parenthood is the new one for me.

There is no one thing in this world more unreasonable than a 3-year-old, just as there is no one thing sweeter than a 3-year-old who has "spent the night making you a new hug."

So when she tells us her shorts are too tight but won't change them, and that her tummys hungry, but won't eat, sometimes Jeremy and I have to find ways to remind ourselves that we are NOT 3 and can't act equally unreasonable. So we invented parenthood haiku. We really don't pay close attention to the actual 5-7-5 syllabic break down, it is the tone that we seek. To quietly recite verse to one another, we can somewhat tune out the hysterics of our children. We usually get sillier and sillier until one of us comes up with:

You are wrong
wrong wrong wrong wrong
You could not be more wrong

to express the sentiment of our daughter towards us. I am glad that her school helps her express her emotions, it seems to be helping the unreasonable days to wane, but today she was not having anything of logic or reason.

So here are my Thursday morning haiku:

The Shorts were too tight
but I WANT them
leave me alone

I am hungry
but no food
will work today

Life with Elspeth is always an adventure.

2 comments:

HennHouse said...

smiles :) for you

"always an adventure"
and I think it will be forevermore

Good luck to you!

Melissa Blair said...

I am going to have to try your little method for my 6 (going on 16) year old! Thanks for the tip!