Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Anatomy of a Henn Family Birthday


5:00 - snooze button
5:03 - give in, because it only gets harder to catch up if you snooze too long.
5:30 - hit the gym for a run
6:20 - Confess to Amanda that I have to bail early so I can go home and make bacon. Promise to do some ab work later.
7:00 - gather everyone at table for rare family breakfast. Be thankful that no one seems to mind I haven't showered since my five mile run
7:25 - Kiss birthday boy goodbye, head for shower, smile because Ella is running for underwear and has announced that 5 year olds wear underwear (at last we may have won the underwear wars).
8:00 - Emerge from bathroom and realize I seem to be missing some pillows. Go looking for my kids. To my surprise I find my daughter has gone potty AND is wearing her ballet clothes. I forgive her for playing parachute with my pillows and her bed. Convene the surprise birthday committee (if I plan things sooner there is no surprise, because they leak like sieve when excited about something)
8:10 - Brush girls teeth and hair
8:24 - head to store where Ella selects a bouncy ball for gift (blue) and Addie selects a train (red). My children are now calling the dollar store the present store, we are big spenders.
8:57 - Realize I have just enough time to drop off Jeremy's overdue library books on our way to dance class
9:15 - entrust Elspeth to the dance teacher at the clubhouse, and apologize to Lara and Dawn because I have forgotten our stroller. Addie will have to walk around the lake, which means Kiran will have to walk around the lake, which means we will be lucky if we make it the mile around the lake in 45 minutes.
9:50 - Arrive back at clubhouse, wrestle older child into skirt and t-shirt, and hit playground
11:00 - collect Baby Firetruck and Little Rocket from playground and head to car to hit one more store before heading home.
11:02 - What is that smell? Oh, that smells REALLY bad. I will deal with it at home, we can skip the store.
11:06 - Oh dear. Addie must have a virus, or someone was feeding her juice. Silent prayer of thanks that I caved and let her wear a pull-up this morning. If THAT had no barrier, we would have lost the car seat for sure.
11:10 - send message to friends that A - Addie may have been contagious at the playground this morning, and B - we will have to skip the playdate this afternoon (Addie must go into quarantine until diarrhea is over).
11:15 - Pull out every art supply we own to make Daddy's birthday cards
12:00 - Set the first wave of cards aside to dry and start lunch. Addie doesn't seem to feel sick, I wonder if she got her hands on juice somewhere?
1:14 - Put Addie down for nap
1:30 - wonder how kitchen gets into this state so quickly
1:45 - finally unearth counter and start making cupcakes with Elspeth
2:08 - Cupcakes are baking, would like to send Ella in for quiet time but Addie is fighting nap for second day in row. Wonder if my 2 year old is on a nap strike.
2:58 - Tell Elspeth she will have quiet time in my room. Leave her with a room full of books, tell her she can not get up at 3.
2:59 - Can I clean up after our card making party, fold all the laundry, dust and vacuum in the half hour I agreed to hold Ella's quiet time to?
3:40 - No I can't do all those things in a half hour. Let Elspeth get up. Realize that Addie gave in. Feel happy about that.
4:00 - Addie wakes up cranky. Time to get serious about our surprise party, Elspeth and I enter into disagreement as to whether toys on living room floor constitute "decorations." I pull the Mommy trump card, she is too excited to care.
4:01 - Time to wrap Daddy's Birthday presents
4:15 - Time to frost the cupcakes
4:20 - The BIRTHDAY CARDS!!! Grab them and convince the kids to complete their projects. Sigh with relief that nothing needs to dry, we can be ready on time.
4:35 - Give up the "perfect home" idea and stow the clean laundry in the bedroom to fold later
4:45 - Call Daddy to establish ETA, realize he will be home soon
5:00 - hide
5:01 - Get out of hiding spots
5:01:30 - Hide again
5:02:00 - Get out of hiding spots and look out window
5:02:20 - Hide in all new spots
5:03:05 - Everyone switch spots
5:03:20 - Get out of hiding spots and look out window again
5:03:45 - Hide in all new spots
5:04 - Daddy walks in and we all yell "SURPRISE"
5:15 - Daddy opens presents
5:30 - Late for soccer
6:15 - Arrive Home
6:30 - The Key to world peace? Act like a short order cook and make custom dinners for kids
6:45 - Mmmmm, Skyline (I love being married to a Cincy boy, and I love his parents for sending us a supply for Valentine's Day)
7:00 - Are you still with me? This is the one moment of peace in the day. I hope you are enjoying it, Jeremy and I did.
7:15 - Sing happy birthday and dig into cupcakes (Great Value vanilla ice cream is one step away from cool whip).
7:25 - The phone is ringing, I start to rise but realize it must be for Jeremy
7:35 - Blog while Jeremy talks to his parents (I could have some time here folks)
7:40 - Bath time
7:52 - Diagnose the strange brown hand print on the toilet as Addie's chocolate ice cream artwork. Jeremy is much relieved.
Can I clean off the table, load the dishwasher, take out the recycling and get jammies for the kids and remove Ella's "library" from my bed in 20 minutes? No.
8:18- Bedtime 1 for Child number 2 (Make Way for Ducklings)
8:30 - Bedtime 2 for Child number 1 (Cookie Monster has a Bad Dream)
8:35 - Wonder if "sucking it in" counts as ab work?
8:40 - Give up ambitions of laundry (despite Karin's warning that it has the reproductive capabilities of bunnies) and decide to go to bed.

"All the days ordained for me
were written in Your book
before one of them came to be."
(Psalm 139:16b, NIV)



Happy Birthday Jeremy. We love you

6 comments:

Melissa Blair said...

You got a lot accomplished in one day! If you ever need something to do, I have a handful of kids and a household that could used your organizational expertise! LOL!

Oh, and BTW Happy Birthday, Jeremy!

Kay Hudson said...

...and that is really a "normal" day in this household. What a wonderful birthday.

HennHouse said...

Wow. I haven't seen my pillow before 11 p.m. in AGES. You sure know how to party!

Happy birthday, Jeremy! Did you get the package from the HennHouse?

thenn said...

Yeah, I guess my "party" days are long gone. :) My friends can't believe that I get up at 5 and still get 7-8 hours of sleep a night . . . its a skill.

The package arrived yesterday, Jeremy is looking forward to a time that he can enjoy the book.

Swedish Mama said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEREMY

Quick, fold that laundry, two loads landed in my bedroom while I read this.

Glad you had a great day, all of you.

Lovely Rita said...

Sounds like a mostly good day for you (we can always do without "too much juice") and a great day for your hubby. I should try this sometime!